What do you think is the greatest benefit of online communication

Sunday, July 23, 2017

The Changing Face of First Contact in Web 2.0

With the advent of Web 2.0, the very nature of how relationships can be initiated has been radically altered. Most people I know have some friends that they have never even met in person, myself included. Some relationships begin online and then shift to in-person relationships, sometimes even marriage.

What do you think about this evolution in how relationships can begin? Is this a good thing, or a bad thing?

What about online dating? Do you think this is a viable and reasonable way for individuals to meet and hopefully find long-lasting, loving relationships?

How about online counseling, support groups, therapeutic endeavors? Can these ever be successful in the context of online communication?

What are your thoughts and opinions concerning, and experiences with, online first contact?

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Cathryn, you really asked great questions. I would not easily say it is good or bad about online dating or online counseling. Everyone coin has two sides. Online dating makes it possible that two strange people at a a distance connect to each other, and maybe fall in love with each other. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the realm of online dating and online counseling I don;t believe on can so easily say that either is good or bad. Good and bad can come from both. The is issue is with a lack of knowledge of the true identity of whoever it is you are interacting with and that applies in both situations. People fake who they are in person so it can only be worst online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to look at online relationships (friendly or more intimate) as unrealistic (long, long ago). Now however I have completely changed my tune. From coaching (with you ��) to counseling through my university via Skype type setup but a different site. I've also met a lot of great people in online forums through Facebook groups, people locally through Meetup.com and even through fitness groups.
    One of my favorite podcasters is Gary Vaynerchuk and he talks all the time about how yes sure in some cases tech and social media is seemingly making people anti social, but in a greater way it's connecting more and more people across the globe and making us aware of other places, people, struggles, and successes!

    I have many new friends through YouTube as well. For me, I've always believed that generally, all people are good. And I've found this to be even more true as I interact with more and more people online. Great questions :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it! Yes, this is actually what the research says too. Contrary to what we may initially think, there is greater connection happening thanks to social media. In addition, many would argue that our experience is the only thing that is "real" anyway, so if the connection feels real to us, then it is. I tend to agree with that assessment. :-)

      Delete
  4. That makes total sense! When I get auto messages after following someone or liking something I'm almost immediately turned off from them. But when I get a genuine response or even a like from them it's the total opposite. :)

    ReplyDelete