What do you think is the greatest benefit of online communication

Saturday, July 8, 2017

No More Running

I have been hearing and reading for years about the growing necessity for professionals to attend to their online presence. I have also, other than a couple of dippings of my toes in the online water, run from that necessity. Technology is scary to me. I feel like a fish out of water when I attempt to work with it. The online world feels big and scary and overwhelming, so I avoid. (Not an effective strategy for someone who is working on a PhD and moving toward a profession in academia!)

After reading an article for the Web 2.0 class that I am taking at FSU titled Creating an Intentional Web Presence: Strategies for Every Educational Technology Professional by Lownthal, Dunlap, and Stitson, I realize that running is no longer an option. The authors, convincingly, discuss the vital importance of taking control over one's online personality and footprint. As I read, a picture began to form in my mind of my future possible employers sitting at a computer, typing my name into Google, and yielding nothing but my Facebook page and other social media silliness. Ugh! I do not like that picture! Thankfully, the authors include specific guidelines for how to go about attending to online presence.

The first is to create a personally controlled website. No problem. Though I think I have pretty much decided to get some help doing it--actually hiring someone who really knows what they're doing and create something for me, though something simple, that is beyond just a canned template. I like the idea of having this, as the authors call it, "home base."

Second, the authors encourage actively engaging in social networking. Networking goes beyond just posting fun personal stuff on social media. Networking is about making connections with key individuals and online communities that can provide professional support. I am just getting going on this, but it is one of those things that I feel like I have to just start doing and then learn as I go. I'm getting more active on Twitter, and being more careful about the types of things I post on Facebook--attempting to add in posts of a more professional interest and limit posts that have to do with my political leanings and such.

Third, the authors talk about the importance of contributing and sharing professional resources connected with your area of expertise. Not only is it important to share your own work, but it is important to also curate and share the work of others that you find useful and that you think might be useful to others in your field. I have tried to do a little bit of this with YouTube (School Counseling and Guidance Resources) but have pretty much decided, again, that I am going to get some professional support. I have also become quite intrigued with the idea of using SlideShare, as I have several Power Point presentations I have created for trainings, conferences, and presentations that could be useful to others in my field. Gonna try that one next. One step at a time . . .


Fourth, and last, the authors discuss Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Yikes! What?! Definitely getting some professional support here. This is something I have heard about and read about, and have absolutely no clue about. At the same time, I don't want to miss this apparently very-important boat in the Web 2.0 ocean.

Whew! Lots to think about. Lots to consider. Lots to learn. Exciting and scary at the same time.

I'm going to go have a glass of wine now . . .

Cheers!


4 comments:

  1. This is something I've been told as an educator since I completed my undergrad in 2010. Everyone knew that the internet, and specifically a web-presence, was important, but the steps to take were always ethereal at best. Another road block was that once I started teaching, an online web presence was the absolute last thing on my mind! Looking back on it, the school community never spoke of having a personal educator's space and there absolutely was no professional development to be had.
    I feel like I am just now getting a grasp on what it means to have a true web presence as an educator and hope I can make it second nature to share and connect with others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you on that. The professional training in this and many other areas in education is sorely lacking. I have come to rely on my teenage son a lot when it comes to technology. I think so much of this is generational. Unfortunately most of our educational institutions are still being run by those who are reluctant adopters of technological advances.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the article very insightful as well. I've been on the ed tech and faculty development side of academic for a while, and I know that your fears and concerns are shared by many faculty and students. I thought the article did an excellent job of pointing out how important it is for us to find the place where everyone is comfortable. I especially like the idea of a base camp - so much so that I plan to use it in our next faculty meeting! Also, thank you for sharing your resources. I have so much admiration for those who work in mental health.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you shared this! I did not chose that article last week and am now definitely going to check it out. I am overwhelmed by all I did not know or think about concerning the "digital me" before this course. So much to digest...

    ReplyDelete