What do you think is the greatest benefit of online communication

Saturday, July 8, 2017

Instagram + Natgeotravel = ahhhhhhhh . . . .

I have found the ultimate online escape! Yes!

Thanks to being "forced" by Vanessa Dennen to play around with Instagram for my EME 6414, Web 2.0 course I have discovered the wonderful world of Natgeotravel.

Travel is something that is very important to me, and I am well aware there are countless places in the world I will never see in person. Because of this, I love seeing pictures from all over and learning about distant lands in other ways. Coming across these photos on Instagram brought up feelings of wonder and adventure--important when day-to-day life can often feel mundane and repetitive.

What was most wonderful about this discovery was the accompanying epiphany that social media platforms can be so much more than a way to connect with and keep in touch with others. They can also be a way to connect with and keep in touch with ourselves--with parts of ourselves that can tend to be neglected or forgotten. They can open up the world. The photos posted by Natgeotravel connected me with my inner wanderer, adventurer, and vagabond.

I share a little taste with you here, and highly recommend following Natgeotravel and Natgeographic to any users of Instagram.

Adventure awaits!



4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a gorgeous account to follow! I follow a few similar accounts on IG, but my favorite thing to do with locations around the world is to view tags for a particular place. Just go to "search" type in the name of the place and choose the "Places" tab. These days, I know all you really have to do is Google the name of a place to see it, but I personally love seeing a place from another person's point of view. This is nice for seeing new places as well as those in which you feel nostalgic, like your high school or undergraduate university!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great account! Those photos are magnificent! I love finding a community that shares my passions! Traveling is a big part of my life and curating a following list on instagram of beautiful travel photos and accounts has been great fun! (And it makes me a little jealous!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a similar experience. I had a trip on Hong Kong last May. I usually use to google when I prepare a trip, but this time I Instagramed Hong Kong. The result was meaningful to me. People shared great pictures about Hong Kong that google did not tell me. I will use Instagram (not as a major way) when I prepare a trip in the future.

    ReplyDelete