What do you think is the greatest benefit of online communication

Thursday, July 27, 2017

I am in the dark place . . . :-(



I spent too much time on Facebook today, and now I am in the dark place. (aka: "People suck. The world is horrible. Why try? Etc.") It was an accident. I didn't mean to. I got sucked into a debate about current politics. Ugh. I'm usually pretty good about staying out of those kinds of messes, but once in a while I get sucked into the vortex of asynchronous, opinionated, unproductive, Web 2.0 debate.

So, for all of us out there who would like to be able to avoid the dark place more frequently, here are some tips for how to do so:


1) Strictly limit daily time on Facebook and the like. This is the simplest and surest safeguard of all. In my opinion, 30 minutes should be the max.

2) Resist the urge to have the last word.  We like to be right. It is a universal human condition. If you find yourself getting sucked into a debate that is going nowhere, acknowledge the desire to feel right and then let it go--just walk away from the "conversation." You're not likely to convince them and they aren't likely to convince you, and a whole lot of time and energy (and sanity) will be wasted.

3) Skip over the posts that you know will be triggers for you. Think of yourself like a fish, and those triggering posts like bait on a hook. Be a smart fish.

Hope this helps you. (And hope it helps me! 😆)

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips. I am with you that we cannot stand the debate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're able to step away and take some time outside the digital realm today, Cathryn! I appreciate the tips! Thanks for sharing... Keep calm, and scroll on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! It is sometimes so hard to scroll past certain posts or comments even though I know engaging will do nothing other than bring me down. I must admit I have been limiting my Facebook time lately and working on my quick scroll. You are not alone. Remember how quickly just a small light can break the darkness. = )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love "working on my quick scroll." Yes. It's like we have to develop a new way of skimming. Gonna work on that. :-)

      Delete
  4. Sometimes when I venture into the dark places, I make sure to take a post trip to http://www.sunnyskyz.com/good-news. I mean, most of those stories make me cry, too, but in a good way!

    ReplyDelete