What do you think is the greatest benefit of online communication

Saturday, July 29, 2017

The Advantages of Asynchronous Communication

I know that I am not the only person in the Web 2.0 course who remembers a time without the internet, cell phones, texting, emailing, Facebook, Twitter, etc.--all the tools we use so frequently now to stay in contact with each other. Communication has opened up in many ways thanks to these new tools. It is much more often, though not always, asynchronous when done through Web 2.0 channels.

Although I have heard many people complain about asynchronous communication, and even say that it isn't "real" communication, I have to admit that I absolutely love it. I find it to be advantageous for many reasons. Here are some of the advantages that I have seen myself and heard from others:

1) "Conversations" can happen over a period of time in small bits, as it is convenient for the individuals.

2) We can initiate contact with a person without worrying that we will interrupt them. I know that most people get to their messaging and texting when it is convenient for them.

3) We can make good use of time in boring, useless meetings! Yes. I said it. You know you do it too. Hello, my name is Cathryn and I am an during-the-meeting-under-the-table intermittent texter.

4) We can take a lot more time think through responses. This can be been extremely helpful, especially in cases when we feel emotionally triggered, or need to carefully choose our words for any reason.

5) One of my favorites is being able to let our loved ones know we are thinking about them, send them well wishes or encouragement, at times when it might be impossible to call them. I quite enjoy being able to send love to my partner throughout the work day, and recently was very grateful to send encouragement to a dear friend right as she was heading in to a very difficult meeting.

I think in many ways the asynchronous communication that is afforded us thanks to these new technologies has enriched, broadened, and deepened our communication with each other. What are some examples from your own experience when asynchronous communicating has benefited you?


2 comments:

  1. Very persuasive! Most of my communication is asynchronous,I sending out messages and not expecting immediate reply which depends on others' availability. If I want to get synchronous communication, I would call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. I have noticed that I don't do much calling anymore. I think when I do though--when I am actually giving someone my full attention and blocking out time--the quality of the communication is much higher. Conversations are no longer about just day-to-day stuff, as most of thatch be taken care of through texting or instant messaging. The are more substantive. I like that a whole lot.

      Delete