What do you think is the greatest benefit of online communication

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Drinking from the Firehose: Web 2.0 and Cognitive Overload

I can literally feel my brain approaching the threshold of cognitive overload--like it might explode at any moment, pulled in so many different directions and trying to hang on to way too much information.

It's not just the fact that I'm currently taking a course on Web 2.0, learning about all kinds of online tools, formats, philosophies, etc. and trying to keep up with actually engaging in online communities. The rest of my life has continued to go on.

My son will be leaving for a year-long study abroad in about three weeks and we are dashing around constantly trying to get things done for that, as well as trying to squeeze in quality time together. I have a research assistantship to keep up with. I have rewrites to do for my annual review, proposals to get in this week for a conference, and a presentation to for an upcoming conference that I need to get done . . .
Trying to get exercise in.
Spend time with my partner.
The dang dogs have to be fed.
Oh great, now they want a walk.
Yikes! Have to call my mom back. It's been two days.
Oh shoot! I need to get that Facebook invite done for my son's going away party!
Uh, oh. Need to sit down and pay those bills.
Wait. Have I spent any time on that paper today?
On, and on, and on . . . . . .

I know I'm not the only one who is experiencing this. I am absolutely certain that one of the cons of Web 2.0 and the exponential increase in the amount of information available to us is the increased cognitive load. I am realizing that making good use of the tools available to sift through and organize our online resources, is vital to our sanity, as is the self-discipline to turn off the screens once in a while.

My big take-away from my Web 2.0 course this week is that if I want to take full advantage of all that the wonderful world-wide web has to offer, I must make use to the tools that will allow me to do so . . . and allow me to maintain my sanity at the same time. Filters, collection and curation tools are now my friends.

Kaboom!!!!!


To learn more about cognitive load theory, explore the research of John Sweller, Slava Kalyuga, and Fred Paas.

4 comments:

  1. Can I give you another takeaway that I hope everyone will have?
    To be part of the Web 2.0/social media world means not only knowing how to access and use it, but also how to walk away and take a break. See my post from yesterday about disconnecting. It's necessary, and you'll come back refreshed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Thank you for all that. You are always so encouraging when it comes to stepping back and taking a breath. I've noticed that I often feel more motivated when I'm encouraged to rest and relax. Hmmmm ...

      Delete
  2. I feel your cognitive load pain! I feel like a juggler, who normally has 5 or 6 balls in the air, but has just been thrown several new ones. I am not sure I have the technique to handle the new quantity. You are right that the tools can help, but that means that I have to understand the tool and how it works. = ) I am definitely still a novice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I need to find the time to learn the tools and get the organization in place. It's a matter of coming up with the resource of time and energy to relieve burdens on time and energy. Yikes!

      Delete